Every production process has an impact on the environment. Others include: energy consumption, waste disposal, air and water pollution.
Economic development cannot be accompanied by the deterioration of the environment.
Companies must ensure that they leave the planet better than they found it.
New Production Cycles: Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
The traditional linear production model” : “take, use and pull”, is being exhausted because it generates major problems related to the sustainability of the planet. Changed to “Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle”.
In the next 20-30 years, the planet will need to feed 9 billion inhabitants, implying that the use of water, energy, soil, air and other resources must be optimized. Around the world, more and more companies are taking the lead in building and making the planet sustainable. Peri-urban agriculture; poly-productive soils; recyclable water; the return of waste to new production cycles; different food for animals.
Circular Economy -EC
The spirit of EC involves the management of the 9R: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Recover, Redesign, Re-Manufacture, Reject, Restore and Repair.
The types of problems addressed in this line of intervention for the environment are:
1. Misuse of resources: waste from overproduction, over-processes and rework.
2. The high impact of pollution.
3. Losses in storage, waiting, movement and transport of resources.
4. Insufficient management of waste and opportunities related to the transformation of waste into resources.
5. Problems related to production, failures in the design of products or production thereof.
6. Problems related to consumption, corresponding to the prevailing culture model.
7. EC projects are perceived as little or never tested, so it is riskier to invest. Decision makers do not know the costs and benefits or do not have the information to invest with confidence.
8. Companies perceive that the potential savings are small in the cost base.
9. The lack of accurate assessment of savings reduces the investment incentive.
10. Fear of interrupting production and reducing product quality.
Actions against climate change and environmental care
It’s a reality, the planet is warming up. Therefore, nations and the leaders of the world have concentrated on taking action so that the planet does not increase its temperature by 1.5 degrees.
Actions that can be performed include:
- Energy efficiency
- Capture of industrial C02,
- In CO2 capture, agriculture, forestry and other land uses (AFOLU)
- Reduction of emissions from deforestation and degradation (REDD)
- Avoided deforestation and unplanned degradation” (AUDD).
This post is also available in: Español (Spanish)